outdoor @ wolfgang-reinelt.de
coast to coast walk, 1996
I really don't know how I ran into the idea of doing this
walk.... 1996 was not the time of intensive internet research on walks
(at least not for me) and to us the walk in northern England looked
very "local": mostly British people on the way, rather often the
"father and son do a hike" (that I haven't seen that often somewhere
else), and not the usual crowd of German and Dutch people that invade
other popular walks in Scandinavia for instance.
Anyway, being aware of the existence of the walk I bought
the book by Alfred Wainwright "A coast to coast walk - A pictorial
guide" (see refs below) and was fascinated by the idea to cross the
British island on a rather short route from the Irish sea to the
Channel - from coast to coast. The walk crosses three nice areas,
beginning with the lonely and quite impressive lake district in the
west and ending in the more farm-like area in the east. It offers 14
days of superb hiking, summing up to 190 miles or 300km. Pitching the
tent at some nice spot usually is no problem (asking the people before
doing this certainly is no disadvantage), the same with getting
drinking water just by ringing the door bell somewhere. We always met
kind and friendly people, interested in us and keen by the idea that
non-British people do this walk.
Maps needed for the trip are the UK Landranger maps (Ordnance Survey,
scale 1:50.000, sheets 89-94, 98+99) and we organised it as follows:
- 1996-08-02: Car from Germany to Zeebrügge, Ferry to Hull,
UK (departure at 6pm).
- 1996-08-04: Ferry to Hull (arrival at 8am), train to
Whitehaven (arrival at 6pm). Hiking down to coast to St. Bee's
- 1996-08-05: St. Bee's - Ennerdale Water (18 miles).
- 1996-08-06: Ennerdale Water - Stonethwaite (12 miles).
- 1996-08-07: Stonethwaite - Elmhoes (13.5 miles).
- 1996-08-08: Elmhoes - Haweswater (12.5 miles).
- 1996-08-09: Haweswater - Acres Farm (16.5 miles).
- 1996-08-10: Acres Farm - Kirkby Stephen camping site (11 miles).
- 1996-08-11: Kirkby Stephen - Keld camping site (12 miles).
- 1996-08-12: Keld - Marrick "camping site" (14.5 miles).
- 1996-08-13: Marrick - Bolton on Swale (15 miles).
- 1996-08-14: Bolton on Swale - Osmotherly camping site (16 miles).
- 1996-08-15: Osmotherly - Bloworth Crossing (14 miles).
- 1996-08-16: Bloworth Crossing - Glaisdale camping site (15 miles).
- 1996-08-17: Glaisdale - Hawsker camping site (16.5 miles).
- 1996-08-18: Hawsker - Robin Hood's bay camping site (3.5 miles).
- 1996-08-19: bus to Scarborough, train to York
- 1996-08-21: bus to Hull, Ferry to Zeebrügge (departure at 6pm)
- 1996-08-21: Ferry to Zeebrügge (arrival at 8am), car to Germany
Some Links and References:
- Paul Hannon: The Coast to Coast Walk: 190 miles across Northern
England. Hillside Publications, UK, 1994. - The book to take with
you on the walk.
- Alfred Wainwright: A coast to coast walk - A pictorial
guide. Penguin books Ltd, Michael Joseph Ltd 1992,4,5. Re-prints
the original edition from 1973! This is the book to have in order
to get the right mood for the hike.
- Coast to coast
path. A description by Walter W. Trimble, also providing some
links to other british distance walks.
to coast walk. A description by Phil Andrews
to coast walk. Quite some information collected by UK Ramblers
- St Bees Home Page
- West Cumbria Photographs
Some pictures are available. Please click on a thumbnail to view the fullsize image.
|hiking the coast|
| Lake district|
|honoring Robin Hood|
|railway bridge |
|The Old Forge |
|endless landscape (2)|
|Robin Hood's bay|
Preview and trailing pages created on Sat Jan 3 14:17:23 2004 with gPhoto HTML Gallery plugin. Thanks...
Last updated Sat Jan 3 15:07:03 2004 by Wolfgang Reinelt
. Legal Disclaimer